Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chapter 1: The Sun Is On My Side

It started out as a normal morning. Until those incessant dogs started barking. I was looking out at the morning sunrise that was painted with blues, and yellows, and reds. When the dogs started barking, I toppled backwards around my brach and fell from about fifteen feet. When I hit the ground, I knew my back leg was broken. I opened my eyes to two sets of gleaming white teeth and the sound snarling through the chain link fence. Their owner was yelling, "No! Stop! Get away! No!" and the owner pulled them back from me. He started to take them inside, but they lunged out at me yet again. I thought this was the end of me. But it wasn't. I knew I still had a chance. I struggled onto my stomach and climbed into a standing position. I crawled through the gap in the fence. There were two people looking at me. I stared back, but I soon looked away and climbed into the bush. I was trying to climb the bush but I couldn't. So I just sat there. Later, in the evening, someone put out some strawberries for me, but I couldn't get to them because I was in so much pain. During the night I decided I needed to leave. I had lived in that yard for three years, but I knew that this was my time to leave. Go on my own adventure. So I set off. I walked and walked down the sidewalk. I don't know where I got to. Just when I thought I couldn't go any farther, the morning crept up on me. The sun shined its light on me, cast its warmth down my back. I looked up at the sky. The sky looked down at me. I knew I could do it. I could do anything now. I smiled up at the sky. I had hope. Why?


Because the sun was on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment